Saturday, May 9, 2009

Pumpkin Pancakes


By now you've probably figured out that we eat pancakes a lot. In fact last weekend when I made eggs instead of pancakes my oldest was so thrown off that I made some Bisquick ones mid-week for him. (normally, I'd just serve him up some frozen waffles instead, but we were out). Anyways, I have fond memories of friends of my parents visiting from the States when I was a kid for the Abbotsford Airshow. Abbotsford, BC is the town I grew up in. Every summer they have a big international airshow and we'd often get visitors at that time of year. These friends of theirs were retired and had a converted motorhome. It was via them that I first had pumpkin pancakes and I loved them. I'm sure if I asked my mom, she'd have that recipe around somewhere, but this one is one I adapted from serveral I found online. I like them because they are tasty and my son will eat them without knowing that he has consumed some fruit and veggies.
3 eggs
1 & 2/3 C milk
3/4 cup canned solid pack pumpkin
1/4 cup applesauce
1 C all-purpose flour
1 C wheat flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Preheat your pan or griddle to low medium heat. In a large bowl whisk eggs well. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix batter together. Spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray. Pour batter by 1/4 portions. Cook until tops bubble and turn and cook other side. Serve with butter and syrup. Makes at least 15 pancakes.

my son that knows the pancakes have pumpkin in them and loves them
my son that doesn't know these pancakes are giving him extra veggies and fruit and loves them

8 comments:

Katy ~ said...

All right, so I haven't had breakfast yet and I see your recipe. I'm printing this off and heading to the kitchen. So happens I have all the ingredients and I'm starving! We eat pancakes a lot too, but I've never had pumpkin ones. I just KNOW these are going to be tasty.

Can't wait to try these!

Katy ~ said...

Kristen, please forgive my bad manners. I meant to comment just how adorable I think your son is! He just looks like such a little imp. And boy does he look as if he's lovin' those pancakes!

Heather S-G said...

YUM! My kiddos would definitely love these, too! I love your new design...those cupcakes are gorgeous!

Pam said...

I love pumpkin pancakes with cinnamon syrup. Your pancakes look and sound delicious.

Katy ~ said...

Made em', LOVE em', going to blog them with a reference back to you. I have to run out so these won't be blogged until tonight or perhaps tomorrow. They're too good not to try and get the word out to as many people as we can!

justjoycee said...

Getting hungry after seeing those pancakes. Enjoy the movie, it was really good, and the dinner too.

Carrie said...

These pancakes look so delicious!
Perfect for me... who is already missing the smells and tastes of fall (it's my favorite season) :-(

Ginger said...

I saw these on Katy's blog and decided to head to your blog to see what yours look like. They look incredible. Your son is so happy eating them! I am definitely going to make these.