Sunday, May 31, 2009

Easy Baked Penne


...or what I did with the rest of the orange puree.

The orange puree has nothing at all to do with oranges :o) It is a mix of sweet potato and carrot that I posted about on my last post. I used 3/4 cup in a batch of cheese muffins. I used the rest in this baked penne. For whatever reason my oldest who is 4 has decided that penne is his favorite pasta. It was per his request that this came about.

1 box of penne, cooked and drained as per box directions
1 lb lean ground beef
1 onion
1-2 cloves pressed garlic
1 jar of your favorite red pasta sauce (I used the PC brand spinach and cheese)
1 cup orange puree (mix of pureed sweet potato and carrot)
1 cup cheese (I used a mix of cheddar and swiss)

Preheat oven to 350*. In a large pan saute the beef with the onion and garlic until the beef is cooked through. Add the jar of sauce and the orange puree - mix well.
Put penne in a lasagne pan. Add sauce and mix well. Grate cheese on top and bake for 30 minutes.

13 comments:

Julie said...

Just found your blog...love the cupcakes at the top! Then penne sounds super :)

Katy ~ said...

Kristen, you make me chuckle. Well done!!! I'll bet the sauce was pretty darned good.

Donna-FFW said...

Great way to get some veggies in there. Love it!

Coleens Recipes said...

Great photograph too!!!

chow and chatter said...

nice to add the puree to the pasta gets the veggies in your son lol

Melody said...

This looks like a great recipe for the whole family. I love penne too! Your son has great taste!

Heather S-G said...

Sounds good to me!!

Elyse said...

What a great use for the orange puree! Yum. This baked penne looks fabulous. Your little one has great taste in pasta dishes :)

Trish said...

Yes....I agree...a great way to get the veggies into your son's pasta! Say, that puree is probably something you can make ahead, freeze in the icecube tray (remember we did this for babyfood for our little ones) and then pop in ziplocs for any pasta dish or muffins etc. You have something going there girl!

NKP said...

What a great way to lighten up a pasta. I am totally stealing this! :) Don't tell my kids.

teresa said...

Great idea! I bet the orange sauce actually hadd some good flavor! I have an award for you on my blog!

Zoe said...

oooh very creative. I looks delish,

Carrie said...

Such a great easy meal idea!