Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day BBQ


I hope you all had a lovely Mother's Day! I was so excited that we were able to BBQ tonight, our first BBQ of the season. I had bought a couple of steaks in hopes that we could do it soon, the weather here has been uncooperative so far (foggy, drizzly, chilly), but tonight the rain clouds let up for a few hours, like my own personal Mother's Day present. We went all out, I marinated the steaks, Jonathan marinated some chicken and we added a few hot dogs for the boys. Here's my own personal BBQ chef on duty.

Steak Marinade
1/4 cup white cooking wine
1/4 cup steak sauce
1 tbsp Montreal Steak Spice
1 tbsp basalmic vinegar
1 tsp lemon juice
Mix all together. Put the steaks and marinade in a strong ziplock bag and allow to sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours.

Chicken Marinade
Jonathan did this and just told me what he put in it, no measurements so take your best guess.
Olive Oil
Basalmic Vinegar
Red Wine Vinegar
Greek Seasoning.
Mix all together. Pour over chicken (we used chicken breasts that had been slices into chicken strip size) in a strong ziplock bag and all to sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours.

And what about the side dishes? The first was a Carrot Bake that I stumbled upon on Katy's blog(of Food For A Hungry Soul). It had been calling my name since I first saw it a few weeks back and I wasn't disappointed. It actually reminded me of a scallopped corn dish that I make and enjoy. I've quite often what I could do different with carrots seeing as J doesn't like glazed carrots and I really only know 3 other ways to cook them (boiled, stir fried, and mashed with turnip). So thank you Katy for something new to add to my repitoire!

The second side dish also has a story. I was on Pam's blog (For the Love of Cooking) and she had a teaser picture of a potato dish headed by the words: Need an easy side dish? And I was hooked. I wanted those potatoes now! Clicking that picture led me to a plethora of side dishes and I started to scroll, and scroll and scroll, until I finally found them. It turns out that she had found the recipe on thepioneerwoman.com. FYI they are called Crash Hot Potatoes and they are absolutely delcious and very easy to make.
Altogether with a glass of Diet Coke, not a bad Mother's Day meal. Have a wonderful day!

9 comments:

Bunny said...

I'm glad the weather cooperated so you could have your bbq! Happy Mother's Day!!

Lara said...

That's the best part of summertime if you ask me...a good excuse to grill! I'm glad the rain held off for you. Hope you enjoyed your Mother's day!

Katy ~ said...

You personal bbq chef looks as if he's handling the job very well.

Your marinades sound very good. We've had the PW crash potatoes a couple of times. They ARE very good!

I'm glad your day turned out so well for you.

Netts Nook said...

What a fun BBQ looks perfect.

Cyndi said...

I saw Jamie Oliver do the potatoes once back when he still had a show on Food TV - he called them "smashed" potatoes. They're sooooo good, aren't they?!

NKP said...

A BBQ for Mother's Day is just perfect. It has been dipping down to almost freezing the last couple of nights but the days have been pretty springy.
Looks good!

Kathy said...

Kristen,

You won my Country Bob's Giveaway!!! I'm emailing Mr. Malekovic my blog posting, announcing the winners. I know he'll be contacting you soon via your blog. So, keep an eye out! Thanks for playing!!! :o)

Kathy said...

Kristen,

Carla at Country Bob's sent me email this morning. They are wanting to get a hold of you about the giveaway. They don't see an email address on your blog though. Could you send them email and maybe a link to my giveawy post, so they know it's you! Here's their email... carla@countrybobs.com

Thanks,
Kathy

Angela said...

Thanks for the marinade recipes.