Saturday, May 23, 2009

Puffed Pancake



Of all the regular dishes I make, this one is one of my husband's favorites. I think of it as a 'special' breakfast food, so I don't make it a lot. Usually it comes out for Christmas morning, or for when company comes to visit. This morning we shared it with good friends of ours who are visiting from Ontario.
This was one of my favorite breakfasts when I was a kid. My mom had found it in the Vancouver Canuck's Cookbook (circa 1982 or '83). She topped hers with strawberries and whipped cream, and we knew it simply as Strawberry Puffed Pancake. I've made a few variations over the years, so I simply title it as Puffed Pancake. This recipe can be halved if you are serving to a smaller number.

2 tbsp butter/margarine
4 eggs
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt (keep salt at 1/4 tsp if you halve it)

Heat oven to 400*. Put the butter in a large rectanglar cake pan (or lasagna pan) and let it melt. In a medium mixing bowl beat the eggs. Add the flour, milk and salt and whisk until combined together (don't overmix it - lumpy is better in this case!)
Take the baking pan out and pour batter in. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Have everyone in the kitchen ready for when you take it out of the oven for the 'ooh ahh' moment. Serve with your favorite pancake toppings. We used mixed berry topping and whipped cream this morning. Everyone else enjoyed sausages (which I finally made properly) as a side.



Alternate:

Apple Puffed Pancake
Slice 2 baking apples thinly. After the butter is melted, sprinkle pan with brown sugar and cinnimon. Layer the apples on the bottom before pouring the batter over.

Peach Puffed Pancake
As above with the apples, only use peach slices instead.

Berry Topping
Fill a medium bowl with mixed frozen berries (2 cups). Heat in the microwave for 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup sugar. Mix well.

9 comments:

Heather S-G said...

This is such a fun breakfast! I'll have to give this a try...I love oooh-aaah moments :D

teresa said...

My hubs actually makes these every once and a while and I LOVE them. I love all the fruit topping you added though, delicious!

Lissaloo said...

Yum, I would love to try this :)

Bunny said...

Oh you are so right this is a special breakfast!!!I would love this!

Coleens Recipes said...

How special! I love the idea of peaches. It's sure to get brownie points with hubby!

Donna-FFW said...

I Love Love Love love how this looks and sounds.

Katy ~ said...

I love puffed pancakes; usually mine includes chopped apple in the batter. They ARE a wonderful and delicious special occasion breakfast, though it's nice just to have for fun!

Lara said...

We have a recipe that's almost exactly the same as this. Yesterday morning my 8-year-old popped out of bed way too early for a Saturday and begged me to make it for breakfast. I had to help with the butter part, but she did the rest and was SO proud of herself! I love how good it looks with the fruit topping.

Happy Memorial Day!

Zoe said...

This is similar to a german pancake, or dutch baby pancake..delicious!