Friday, May 29, 2009

Orange Stuff, Muffins and Sharing the Love!

Where to begin? I have so much to say. 1st, can I brag a little? I now have Paul McCartney tickets! I am so excited about this! I never thought I would actually get to see him live, but I am - July 11th in Halifax! WOOT WOOT!


2nd - I'm very touched that Girlichef
thought to bless me with a blogger award this week! Thank you so much! I am supposed to pass it along to 7 other bloggers that I enjoy. I'd really like to pass it back to her because hers is one of my favorites, but I guess that isn't allowed, so...
I'm also going to stay away from passing it onto others that I passed an award onto before (it doesn't mean that I love your blog any less) and I'm going to not pass it onto others that I know Girlichef passed it along to this week. Look at me, giving myself all sorts of restrictions :o) Do you that makes this any easier when there are so many lovely blogs that I enjoy out there?
So I will pass this onto:
Tried and True Cooking with Heidi - I love that she is looking for delicious meals for her family, while sticking to a budget (sound familliar?)
Lauren's Kitchen - She's got some great recipes on here, also looking to feed a young one healthy and palate pleasing food
Coleen's Recipes- Coleen always has something yummy posted and gives the lovliest feedback too
Lick the Bowl Good - Monica has the most beautiful cakes I have ever seen (and lots more good stuff too!)
Cooking With Carrie - Carrie is yet another mom of boys who has some gret easy meal ideas
Cheat Day Cafe - I'm pretty sure that Melody's blog was the first food blog I came across when I decided to get serious about my food blogging. I love her recipes (in fact I'm making one tomorrow that I'll post later this week)
Smokey Mountain Cafe - Katherine's blog just impresses me again and again
*Just as a special note, I'd really love to pass something along to Katy of Food For a Hungry Soul but I know she chooses not to participate in these sorts of things. May I just then mention how much I enjoy her blog. I have tried out a few of her recipes and they are absolutely delicious. As well, she has the most encouraging feedback about what I have posted. She seems to be a truly special person.
And now the Orange Stuff. I've shared in the past how what an absolute struggle it can be to feed my youngest veggies. This past fall I purchased the book, The Sneaky Chef by Missy Chase Lapine

I don't know if you agree with her food philosophy or not, but it fits in with what I believe. Keep offering kids veggies as you would with regular meals, but 'hide' veggies into foods that they do eat to ensure that their nutritional needs are being met. Works for me :o)
So this past week, I've made 2 recipes with the Orange Stuff. She calls it a Make Ahead Recipe: Orange Puree. It's really easy (just like making baby food). Take 1 sweet potato and 3 large carrots. Boil them in a little bit of water until they are soft. Drain. Blend it until it is smooth. Makes about 2 cups.
This is her most versatile puree. You can plan to use it up in a few days, or freeze it in ziplock bags ready to use later. This week, I made her grilled cheese muffins (with two adaptations - she uses her own flour blend and oil in hers).

1/2 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup parmasan cheese
1 cup low fat cheddar cheese (I used light sharp)
2 eggs
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup applesauce
3/4 cup orange puree (see above recipe)

Preheat oven to 350*
Mix all the dry ingredients plus the cheeses in a large bowl. Mix all the wet ingredients in a medium bowl. Fold the wet ingredient mixture into the dry ingredient mixture. Mix until the flour is just moistened.
Scoop the batter into a muffin tin sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake 25-30 minutes (large muffins) or 12-15 minutes (mini-muffins).
These muffins are the lightest sweet muffins I've ever had. The taste reminds me of corn bread, but not as dense. My boys liked them a lot too. I made minis (I usually do). I think when I next make them I may play around with the recipe more to make them savoury-er - add some onion and herbs?

16 comments:

Heather S-G said...

I've read this cookbook before, and I don't have an issue with being sneaky. If it gets in more good stuff, why not?! Great people you've passed this on to...and thanks for your kind words :)

chow and chatter said...

congrats on the award and I agree a little sneaky is ok i mix dal with yogurt he he and i am a dietitian and gave icecream for her teething in between a couple bites of fish, broccoli and mash!!!!!!

Lara said...

I'm good with sneaky. Sometimes it's the only way to get them to eat certain things. Congrats on your awards!

Trish said...

Very yummy indeed. I love orange anything!

I think you so deserve the reward by the way! Katy is such a sweet person I can tell and I shall scoot over and visit the other blogs you shared with.

Selba said...

Congrats on your award and also for having Paul McCartner tickets, that's awesome! :)anted

Katy ~ said...

Kristen, I don't see this as being "sneaky" at all; I think it's downright clever. The orange stuff just becomes another (healthy) ingredient used in your recipes. I'm thinking I need to buy this book to use on Ole Sweetie-Pi as he is SUCH a fussbudget when it comes to food. LOL I want to keep him around a long time just so I can torture him some more with foods he never thought he'd eat LOL!!!

Just want you to know how much I appreciated your sweet, sweet words, Kristen. You make me cry.

Donna-FFW said...

Congrats on your award!! ou deserve it.. Love the sound of these muffins!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the tickets, that sounds like fun! An you definitely deserve the award!

Coleens Recipes said...

Thank you for the awarad!!! How thoughtful of you.

Talita said...

How delicious this muffin looks! I copied the recipe. I have a lot of oranges, so I'll try it.

Anonymous said...

I didn't like orange when I was a kid...I didn't like all fruits, period. But if you offered that muffin to me...I would have gobbled it up, no questions.
congrats on the award!

Monica H said...

Being sneaky works, sometimes it's just the texture that turns them off. These muffins look good. I'd love to try one with some salted butter- yum!

Beautiful cakes? Thanks! You are such a doll and I appreciate the blog award.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

teresa said...

Congrats on the award, you deserve it! And the muffins look great!

Elyse said...

These muffins look fabulous!! I can't wait to check out this recipe. And how exciting that you have Paul tix!! When I was studying in London, I saw him on Abbey Road. It was really quite amazing. I can't wait to hear about how the concert goes. Your blog is absolutely fabulous! I'll definitely be around often.

Kristen said...

Thanks for all the positive comments on the muffins! I'm hoping that everyone got that the orange puree was not made with oranges - I'd hate for someone to make the muffins and have them turn out funny :o)

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Congrats on receiving this award, you truly have an amazing blog, that I look forward to visiting over and over again.

Thank you so much for passing this award on to me, I am touched that you thought of me.

Your muffins are scrumptious, I love that you put the orange in them.