Sunday, May 24, 2009

Baked Potato Soup for Souper Sunday


I was doing a fridge clean out on Thursday, making mental notes of what we had and what we needed when I saw that we had a bunch of potatoes that really needed to be cooked up. Hmmm. What could I do with them? Potato soup was the first thing I thought of and then I remembered hearing about baked potato soup sometime in the past (but I couldn't remember where or when). No problem, I just made it up. To which my husband exclaimed, you are getting really good at this. Thanks honey.

6 potatoes scrubbed
2 tbsp butter/margarine
1 onion chopped
1 tsp each dill, thyme, parsley
4 cups veg soup stock (I think chicken stock would be fine too, I just had veg on hand)
grated pepper to taste
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup light sour cream

Heat oven to 350*. Poke the potatoes several times with a fork and bake for an hour.
When the potatoes are baked, take them out of the oven to cool a little and start the rest of the soup. Melt margarine over low-medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened. Add the herbs and blend in. (*pre-heat the veg stock) Add the veg stock and bring heat up to med-high. Grate in the pepper. Cut open the potatoes and scoop the potato out of the skins into the soup. Let everything heat up to a nice boil. Remove from heat. Use a hand blender to blend the soup together (or transfer to a blender in batches to blend, then return to the soup pot). Grate the cheese into the soup and mix to help it melt. Stir in the sour cream.
Serve as is or grate a little more cheese on top.

15 comments:

Heather S-G said...

Oh, I love any type of potato soup...yours sounds so good! :P

Trish said...

I love potato soup. This sounds AND looks good. I made my version of Italian Wedding soup for tonight ... soup on Sunday. Grin. I make soup every weekend with all my 'leftover' veggies as I go out and replenish for the work week ahead. That way I have soup in containers all frozen for the week's lunches AND I have successfully used up the veggies in my veggie bin. Nice site by the way. I'll be back.

Chef E said...

Sounds like a good 'after' Memorial beach party food for me...I could get into slurping on a bowl of your delish soup the next few days!

Heidi said...

I love potato soup, but my husband won't eat it... such a crazy man! I would love this.

NKP said...

Oh yum! I love a spud soup. Nice call with the cheddar!

Katy ~ said...

Oh, does this look good! Great way to use up potatoes, tasty, and lots of goodness. Will certainly be giving this a try!

teresa said...

Mmmm, what a comforting soup, looks delicious!

Deb in Hawaii said...

What a great use for leftovers--it looks delicious! Thanks for sending it to Souper Sundays. Just got the round up posted.

Coleens Recipes said...

A good bowl of homemade soup is hard to beat!!

Donna-FFW said...

Baked potato soup sounds delicious to me!

Lara said...

One of our favorite winter time meals is potato soup, but I never have tried it with baked potatoes. What a great way to use leftovers. You're much braver than I am with recipes. I sometimes alter recipes a little, but I very rarely get brave enough to make one up.

Anonymous said...

mmm! sounds lovely, and much lightened up! I would love it with some crispy bacon bits on top....YUM!

Heather S-G said...

I know!! I had to switch to Firefox, too! I couldn't even open my own blog + a few others...so frustrating. But yep, we showed that IE...HA! ;)

Bunny said...

Thanks for reminding me about Baked Potato soup! I love potato soup, I'll have to try your recipe!

Netts Nook said...

That soup looks perfect can't wait to give it a try. Need to clean out the fridge myself.