Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mexican Casserole


This is one of my mom's recipes. I am pretty sure she got it from Weight Watchers originally. You can serve it as a meal on it's own, but I know my husband well enough that he sees it as a side dish and would be looking for the meat if I tried to serve just this, so I added some Thai chicken wings. (Don't ask for the chicken wings recipe, they're PC brand from the Superstore). I like dishes like this an all in one kind of meal. I think I could have made it with shredded chicken or some scrambled ground beef and it would be fine. I also realised how much I miss living on the west coast where you can get all sorts of peppers and chilies. I used a can of green chilies in this but the kick from a fresh pepper was lacking. I was inspired by Girlichef's Chile Pepper contest as it jogged the memory to make this. So this will be my contribution for that. If you know a great way to use chili peppers check her contest out too! (And Heather, thank you for your chili post because I finally know the name of that wonderful Mexican cheese that they put in everything but I can't find up here in Canada, I wish we did get it, it's delicious! - oaxaca cheese)

So here's the recipe:

1 cup cooked rice
1 large onion, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
1 small zuchinni, diced
1 can green chilies (or sub in fresh chilies if you have them)
1 can kidney beanns, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen corn
1 can diced tomatoes, drained (I don't buy diced tomatoes, I squish whole tomatoes into everything instead)
1 tbsp sugar

My mom's directions read this way: Mix, cover and bake for 50 min. at 350*. Uncover and sprinkle with 3/4 cup grated cheese. Bake another 15 minutes.
Yesterday I added the cheese on top right away and baked uncovered for about an hour. I served it with sour cream.

7 comments:

Katy ~ said...

Oh, this looks very good!

Heather S-G said...

This looks delicious...it has set my tummy to growling as I wait for our dinner simmering away slow as can be in the oven! Thanks for entering :) (and yes, I received the email w/ the link)!

Donna-FFW said...

MMM.. Look at all the colors and those flavors are all sounding incredible together. I would LOVE this!

Coleens Recipes said...

I make this a lot, it is delicious!!

Melody said...

I love corn in tex mex recipes! It gives it just the right amount of sweetness. Yummy!

Lara said...

It looks easy and chock full of flavor...can't beat that. I know my family would dig this.

PS I LOVE The new look of your blog!

teresa said...

I LOVE Mexican food, adn this looks incredible! I also love that it's a WW recipe!