Saturday, May 9, 2009

Carmel Popcorn


I love popcorn, I really do. It's my favorite snack. We don't have a Kernels in town here, but when I go up to Moncton, I always stop by and one of the types of popcorn I always get is their carmel buttery one. It's so good. When I made popcorn the other night for the boys, I was in more of a sweet than savory mood, so I looked up a way to make my own carmel corn. I found this recipe from Betty Crocker (one of my standards). I changed it up a bit by added the cashews (also a favorite snack). My husband and his buddy really liked it. I liked it too, but I didn't love it. I guess I've been spoiled by Kernels because they have the candy part down perfectly. The taste of this was good, just the texture of the candy was off (but that may just be me because I in no way gifted at making candy). If anyone has a better recipe, let me know! I'd love to try it :o)

Here's the recipe:

15 cups popped popcorn
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup margarine or butter
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups cashews (I think any nut would be good, pecans, peanuts whatever)

Heat the oven to 200*. Put the popcorn on a large roasting pan (I used my clay baker). In a saucepan heat the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the mixture starts to be bubbly. Continue to cook for 5 minutes without stirring; remove from heat. Stir in the baking soda until foamy (I had wondered what foamy meant, but it really was foamy like shaving cream). Pour mixture over popcorn; toss until evenly coasted. Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread out on cooking paper. Cool competely (about 1/2 hour). Cover tightly to store.

4 comments:

Katy ~ said...

I'm with you; I LOVE popcorn, and caramel corn, well, now we're talking. I've never made it, but yours looks very, very good! I'll take a big bowl of it and go sit and watch one our favorite shows.

Heather S-G said...

Popcorn lover...right here! This looks sinful and right up my alley! Must try...

Coleens Recipes said...

This looks like the perfect meal to me!! Breakfast, lunch OR dinner.

Bunny said...

I made this recipe years ago, it's fantastic, yours looks great!