Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Hungarian Goulash


I cannot take credit for this wonderfully delicious recipe at all (only the fact that I asked for it). I first ate this at my friend Jen's place a couple of years back. She had asked us if we liked goulash and to be honest, I had no recollection of ever eating it. I was in for a big treat. This is so tasty! And it is a wonderful recipe for the slow cooker. I need recipes like this for days when I know I just won't have time to cook after work.

Here's Jen and I just before leaving for New York on March Break this year. Yes, we drove to New York together with 4 kids 6 and under. (a 1 and a half day drive - and we survived!) She's a great girl. Our kids are pretty close in age (6, 4, 4, & 2) and we often share meals together, or take kids for each other to give the other a break.

Jen's Goulash

1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat, cut int 3/4 inch cubes
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 garlic clove, crushed (or 1/4 tsp garlic powder)
2 tbsp flour
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
14 oz canned tomatoes with liquid
1/2 tsp liquid gravy browner (I leave out because I never have any)
2 tsp beef bouillon powder
1 tsp granulated sugar
1/2-1 cup sour cream

Combine first 7 ingredients in a slow cooker. In a medium mixing bowl stir together tomato, gravy browner, bouillon powder and sugar. Pour over beef mixture. Stir.
Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or high for 4-5 hours. Add sour cream - stir. Serve over rice.

*Mommy Gourmet has her polls up for a dinner you would enjoy and I'm one of the people up on it for my Thai Dinner Evening from not too long ago. Check it out and don't forget to vote!

19 comments:

Chef E said...

Oh my girl, this looks great, and sound like something my mom made growing up! I was planning a something similar this week, so now I cannot wait...I remember driving to Chicago from Texas with a thirteen month apart babies!

Barbara Bakes said...

I don't remember every having Hungarian goulash, but it sure looks delicious! Thanks for sharing it!

Unknown said...

I am always looking for new slow cooker recipes and this sounds like a yummy one! :)

Anonymous said...

wow that sounds delicious!!!

chow and chatter said...

looks lovely nice hearty meal

Heather S-G said...

yum, goulash!! This does look super good :)

Bunny said...

Goulash has always been elbow macararoni with a meatsauce here, I like your version better!!

Donna-FFW said...

Love goulash, I will have to try this version. It was a staple in our home growing up!

Jenn said...

I haven't eaten goulash dishes before. But that looks delicious though with the rice.

Katy ~ said...

It has been eons since I've made Hungarian goulash; I had kind of forgotten about it. This looks like a terrific recipe; I'm not even going to bother to TRY and find the one I used as I think this one is far better.

Your friend looks like the twin to one of MY best friends. Their resemblance is uncanny.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

This reminds me of a dish my mom made when I was a kid. Being able to prepare it in the crock pot is an added bonus!

Lissaloo said...

yummy, looks like some good stuff :)

NKP said...

Sounds really tasty! I don't think I have had it before either.

Pam said...

Mmmm. This is my kind of comfort food - it looks and sounds tasty.

Trish said...

Oh this DOES bring back memories for sure!!!

Sweet Cheeks said...

I do not think there is any hungarian food, I do not love. that looks AMAZING!

Lara said...

I've never had hungarian goulash before, but with your description I'll have to try it soon. We do road trips all the time with our five kids and all I can say is...thank goodness for portable DVD players!

teresa said...

Sounds fantastic, I'll have to give it a try! Cute picture!

Selba said...

I love goulash and would love to try this recipe :)