Thursday, May 14, 2009

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins


I apologise in advance if I've posted these before. If I did, it was when I started my food blog and took no pictures. Of course because I had made pumpkin pancakes this weekend, I had plenty of pumpkin left. My kids love muffins (especially mini-muffins) and gobble them down. Recipes like these are a wonderful way to get an extra veggie in them too. I found the original recipe for these on the Spark People recipe data base and then adapted a few things to my own liking. This is my adapted version. These muffins come out moist and spongy and very tasty!

1 1/2 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C applesauce
4 eggs
1 15 oz can pumpkin (this is what the recipe calls for, but being Canadian our measurements are not in oz on the cans, the are in ml which doesn't translate well at all, one is weight the other is volume. So, I just use what I have leftover from the pancakes and it seems to work well - about 2+ cups)
1/2 C water
3 C flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 C semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400*. Spray muffin pan with non-stick spray or use paper liners.
Mix sugar, oil, eggs, pumpking and water until smooth. Add dry ingredients, minus the chocolate chips and mix until everything is well blended together. Stir in chocolate chips.
Fill muffin cups 2/3 with batter. Bake mini-muffins for 10 minutes, check the larger ones at 15 (mine were ready then, the original recipe said 20-25). I got 48 minis and 12 regular size muffins out of this.

13 comments:

Pam said...

I would never have thought to put pumpkin in chocolate chip cookies - they look and sound DELICIOUS.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

This is a wonderful idea. I used a lot of pureed pumpkin last fall and found that it really enhanced what you added it to instead of overpowering you dish.

I would love these muffins. This is shear genius, plus I could sneak this in on the kiddos!

Heidi said...

Pumpkin and chocolate chips sound like a yummy combination! I love muffins and cup cakes because the kids feel cool eating them!

Heather S-G said...

mmmmm, chocolate and pumpkin. These do sound good.

Katy ~ said...

I love pumpkin muffins (no chocolate chips; I don't care for them particularly). Still eating our pumpkin pancakes; they reheat very well! YUM all the way.

Lara said...

My kids love it when I make pumpkin anything and combined with chocolate it's hard to go wrong!

Talita said...

Sounds delish! I love pumpkin cake!

Barbara Bakes said...

Pumpkin and chocolate chips are a great combination. I'll have to give these a try!

Donna-FFW said...

I love these. muffins are a favorite of mine to bake and these look terrific! Pumpkin, applesauce, choc chips, I am saving this!

NKP said...

What an intriguing combination! It's great to have muffins around for quick grab-and-eat.

Bunny said...

I've never paired pumpkin and chocolate before , I need to try this.

teresa said...

I love pumpkin anything, and the muffin sounds like a great idea. A perfect breakfast treat!

SnoWhite said...

i love this combo!