Saturday, January 22, 2011

Tim Horton's Breakfast Sandwich - Copycat recipe

I've posted before how much I love the Tim Horton's Breakfast sandwich.  I order the egg and cheese on a tea biscuit.  It is such a yummy way to start the day (especially with French Vanilla coffee to accompany it).  I've never quite figured out how to do the egg part.  It completely eluded me.  At home, I've been making a cross between an Egg McMuffin and a Tim Horton's breakfast sandwich for a few years now.  Today, I figured it out.  Now that I know what I'm doing, it's so easy!  I'll let you in on the secret.

Biscuit Recipe

2 Cups Flour
1 tbsp sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 tsp onion powder
3/4 cup milk

Pre-heat oven to 450*
Mix all the dry ingredients together. Use a pastry cutter to add in the margarine until it's really nice a crumbly looking. Stir in the milk (dough will be quite sticky).
Flour a flat surface and kneed the dough until soft and workable (flour your hands really well too for this). Roll out about 1/2 inch thick. Use a circle cutter (I use one of my kids plastic cups, about 2'' in diameter) to cut out the biscuits. Place on non-stick sprayed sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. I err on the side of less time to avoid burning and keep the baking sheet on a higher up rack. This recipe makes a dozen biscuits.

The Egg part

Spray a coffee cup with non-stick spray.  Crack an egg into it.  Mix well.  Add a little salt, pepper and parsley flakes to season.  Mix.  Cook in a microwave for 1 minute on high heat.

Putting the Sandwich together

Cut one biscuit in half.  Lay a slice of cheese* on the bottom.  Put the egg on top of the cheese.  Top with the top half of the biscuit.  Enjoy!

*Processed cheese slices are what they use at Tim's.  Now that you know what to do at home you can mix it up a bit with different cheeses.  Add a slice of ham or bacon if you like. 

22 comments:

chow and chatter said...

wow this looks great and nice to make things at home

thanks for the congrats

Katerina said...

I have never tried making such a sandwich. This buscuit recipe intrigued me!

Jennifer said...

YUM breakfast is my favorite meal of the day!

teresa said...

when we went up to niagara falls, we saw tim hortons everywhere! i'd never heard of it until then. this looks like such a good sandwich, breakfast sandwiches are my favorite way to start the day!

Pam said...

I love breakfast sandwiches made with biscuits - yum!

Lauren's Latest said...

I'm a Canadian girl living in Oregon with absolutely NO Tim Horton's around for hundreds of miles! I will make this and think of home! Glad I found your blog! :)

Anonymous said...

I'd like to add that you should never knead or over work biscuit dough. Add just enough liquid for the dough to hold together and not be sticky, mixing gently and as little as possible and you should end up with a tender and flaky biscuit. As far as the egg, try poaching in a mold (metal egg cup type poacher). Make sure you break the yolk and use butter or veg spray so it doesn't stick.

Kristen said...

Thanks for your comments and ideas! @Anonymous - I used to make egg sandwiches with the egg poacher, but this microwave version is so much more like the Tim's sandwiches that I love so dearly!

Anonymous said...

Just fyi, my daughter works at Tim's and says that the ingredient list on the box that the powdered egg mix comes from does not have eggs listed anywhere.

Kristen said...

@Anonymous #2 - that's horrible! So glad I can make my own with real eggs!

Anonymous said...

You have dangerous ways of cooking eggs my friend... it blew up!!!!!!

Kristen said...

oooh - sorry that happened to you! I have since found that the minute time works great in the microwave at work, but my newer microwave at home is more powerful and needs only 45 seconds. Keep an eye on it and enjoy :)

moniquea said...

Hi,
I am looking for a recipe of the savoury spicy sauce Tim Horton uses in their breakfast wrap.. any ideas >/ Thanks a bunch..
Monica

moniquea said...

Hi,
I am looking for the savoury spicy sauce Tim Horton uses in their breakfast wraps,, any ideas? Thank you
Monica

Ryan said...

*Sourced from Tim Horton's Ingredient Information PDF*

EGGS:

Egg Omelette (which is what they use in there sandwiches):

Whole eggs, water, shredded process cheese food, onions, soybean oil, skim milk powder, citric acid, modified corn starch, salt, natural flavour (butter
type), xanthan gum, liquid pepper extract.

Anonymous said...

Oh how I miss tim hortons.We spent a year in Canada and discovered the breakfast biscuit OMG never tasted so yummy. Iam definitely going to try this recipe,thanks.

Unknown said...

I tried it at home. Everybody enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

These came out so well. Easy to make and taste quite good on their own.

Rainbowmaker said...

Hopefully you stirred it really well. I find adding a tablespoon of milk makes it nuch fluffier

Magikalgirl79 said...

They use egg rings at both McDonald's and Tim Hortons! That's how they get the eggs perfectly round to fit on the sandwich. They sell decent egg rings on Amazon. Can't wait to try it this biscuit recipe with the eggs rings I recently purchased. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Yes it’s powered because it’s dehydrated, we have fresh eggs so it will help them rise

Anonymous said...

Microwave egg cooker from Tupperware works awesome and just the right size