Saturday, May 16, 2009

Bisquick Popovers - an experiment


I was quite inspired by Coleen's Mini-Popover recipe and decided that I would make those instead of my usual Saturday morning pancakes. Unfortunately, I forgot that I used up my flour making muffins earlier this week. To tell you the truth I really did not want to get out of my jammies and run to the store to get flour (that kinda defeats the purpose of a lazy Saturday morning). So I hunted around my cupboards to see what I could find. What I found was a box of Bisquick. I don't normally have Bisquick in the house, I had bought it especially for a dumplings recipe. So really, I don't know a lot about how Bisquick works, but I thought I'd try a little experiment and see what happened. I wasn't sure if this would work, and they didn't turn into popovers exactly, more of a thicker Yorkshire Pudding, with no fancy rising. They were still fluffy and tasty. I think they would have been even better if I'd had some whipped cream to sweeten up the berries. While I was waiting for them to bake, I looked on Betty Crocker's site to see if anyone else had made something like this. While I didn't see any recipes like it, I did see some other recipes that looked tasty. I may just have to buy another box of this stuff and experiment some more.

2 eggs
1 cup Bisquick
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt

Heat oven to 450*. Beat eggs until fluffy. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix together until blended. Spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Fill each muffin cup half full. Bake for 15 minutes.

*Cooking Tip - When baking with a muffin tin and you don't use all of the muffin cups, fill the remaining cups half full with water, this prevents the cooking spray from cooking onto your tin.

16 comments:

Katy ~ said...

Good on ya for trying something new! I'm too scarrit to take a risk like that, but I am an ardent admirer of those who do!

Netts Nook said...

Popovers look and sound great. Looks like a keeper.

Heather S-G said...

These sound good...(ha ha ha Katy)!

Coleens Recipes said...

I hope you give the popovers a try at another date. They are as light as air (well, they are almost all air).

Katy said...

Girlichef...GRINS!!

Donna-FFW said...

I think the popovers look fantastic. id you se a special pan to make them?

Bunny said...

You did a great job! I love your fruit, it looks fantastic!

Kristen said...

Donna-I just used a muffin tin

teresa said...

Great job! These look wonderful!

Monica H said...

It's like a biscuit muffin. all it needs is some honey and butter!

Talita said...

These looks gorgeous! I never heard about popovers, but looks so yummy!

SnoWhite said...

cute site! I like it. those "muffins"/popovers look tasty -- especially with the berries.

thanks for stopping by :)

Unknown said...

These are simple and delicious. I make them often now.

Unknown said...

I tried your recipe and the batter was very thin. Is it supposed to be thin?

Unknown said...

I ended up putting another cup of bisquick in to thicken the batter. I am waiting for them to finish baking.

Anonymous said...

I was hoping to make Yorkshire pudding with bisquick, I might just try this with club soda instead of milk and maybe an extra egg?? Who knows