Saturday, April 11, 2009

Easter Cookin'


I love Easter! It really is my favorite holiday. I know I keep going back and forth between this and Christmas, but I think Easter wins out. Less commercial hype and more focus on Christ and His ressurection.
Easter breakfast for me is a no brainer. Scrambled eggs, hot crossed buns, ham for my husband (I can't eat it, pork makes me feel icky), and a nice steaming mug of hot chocolate.
For the last number of years I've cooked Greek style for Eater dinner. Something about Mediterrainean food that just seems so fresh and spring like (even if it is still snowing here) seems to fit Easter so perfectly. I also cook lamb. (As I said, no ham for me). I first had lamb at a church Easter supper about 8 years ago. Oh it was delicious, spit roasted right in the church parking lot. I've been a fan ever since. I usually do oven lamb roasts, but tomorrow I'm trying it in the crock pot. I love meat slow cooked, so I'm hoping this turns out. Recipe and pictures to follow post-Easter.
Other things on my menu that I've posted before:
pita bread
spanikopita
tzaziki
hummus
greek salad
Plus a dessert that I've never made before and am just guessing how it is made, banana cream pie - we'll see how it turns out tomorrow!
Happy Easter!

3 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

Mmmm, sounds yummy. Please post your crockpot results. I'm curious.

teresa said...

What a cool tradition, I love Greek food, but I don't make it near enough. I'm looking forward to hearing how it went!

justjoycee said...

Sounds great, Happy Easter!