Thursday, April 30, 2009

Thai Shrimp Stir Fry


This super-easy super-tasty dish has become a regular feature at our house. I'm posting it specifically for a friend of mine who wants to learn to cook as I often bring the leftovers to work with me to share with her.

1 can coconut milk
1 tbsp curry paste
a couple of dashes of fish sauce*
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 onion, sliced thinly
1 red pepper sliced thinly
1 cup shrimp, thawed (I use the pre-cooked and frozen shrimp)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Heat the coconut milk in a small saucepan. Whisk the curry paste and fish sauce into it. Let boil together for a few minutes (so the paste has disolved and mixed in nicely) and remove from heat and set aside.
Heat cooking oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers to cook to your desired crispyness level (just a few minutes, you don't want to burn the onions). Add the shrimp and coconut/curry sauce. Stir everything together. Add the cilantro just at the end. Serve over basimati rice.

*About the fish sauce. When we first started cooking Thai food, I wondered if this was really neccessary. I guess you can get away without it, but the fish sauce gives it an authentic Thai taste. It's not very expensive and it lasts forever. I bought mine at an Asian food store. Just ask for fish sauce and they will know what you mean and that you are cooking Thai.

10 comments:

girlichef said...

I seem to love anything with Thai in the name...great flavors! This sounds delicious...your friend will not be disappointed!

Pam said...

I love the flavors in this dish. It sounds quick and easy to make - love that.

Coleen's Recipes said...

I have NEVER eaten Thai food. Your recipe looks like a great place to start!

Katy ~ said...

Sounds very good indeed. The dish has a lot of appeal, flavor and presentation.

teresa said...

Ooooh, yummy! I love dishes like this!

Heidi said...

My husband would love me even more if I cooked this for him. He's a huge shrimp fan!

Lara said...

We have seafood allergies at our house, but I wonder if I could use chicken in place of shrimp. That combination looks SO good!

Kristen said...

Sure, you can use chicken in this, I've also used thinly sliced beef

Donna-FFW said...

Thai, shrimp, pasta, winner in my book. Looks delicious!

Melissa said...

I love anything Thai! This looks delicious!!