Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Thinking ahead to grocery day


As previously posted I grocery shop once every 2 weeks, usually planning on the Thursday before. So I'm a little early with my planning this week, mostly because my fridge was due for a clean-out/food inspection. You gotta love the odd leftovers that you find hiding in the fridge, like a half-eaten container of yogurt that my 4 year old probably started, couldn't finish and put back in there. Anyways, what I found were a huge amount of onions and carrots. I must have 3 bags of onions and 3 bags of carrots (2 large, 2 mini). So I'm wondering how to cook them up in the next week or so. I have a few ideas, Donna recently posted a French Onion Soup recipe that I'd like to try. And I haven't made my carrot-bran muffins in a while (plus I should get a picture of them on here.) But I know even after making those, I'll still need to use up more onions and carrots. So I implore you, the foodies, to hook me up with something good. Please send a link to a delicious treasure that I can try out. I'll post my results with your recipes on here as the next couple of weeks go by. Thank you in advance. Cheers!

5 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

I don't know how you do it. I could never shop only twice a month.

Anonymous said...

How about some carrot salad? Love what you have here Kristen, I'm an awful meal planner, maybe I could learn more from you. Hope you wont mind but I'd love to direct Foodista readers to your site, just add this little widget here and it's all set to go, Thanks! - Alisa@Foodista.com

Bunny said...

I go for groceries every 2 weeks too and believe me I always need to clean out the fridge before I go. How about roasting some carrots, potatoes and onions together with some olive oil or vegetable oil at 450 degrees till they're brown, they make a GREAT side dish, carrot cake is also good.

Lara said...

Shopping every two weeks? That's amazing. I'm at the grocery store at least twice a week. I was going to suggest carrot cake too.

Katy ~ said...

tallyhoI pretty much shop every two weeks. And boy do I hear you about cleaning out the fridge.

I make a pretty tasty carrot soup, the flavor is sublime, so of you're into savory, it may not be something that you'd care for. I love carrots and onions in a New England boiled dinner. Carrots are great in cole slaw.

LOL about the brussels sprouts. I happen to enjoy them, but I think they are an acquired taste.

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! It is so nice to meet you and to welcome you to my little dot in the blogosphere.

I'll be looking forward to your posts.