Monday, June 29, 2009

Summer Greek Feast


This picture gives you the complete wrong impression that my son would actually eat all of this wonderful food. He won't. He'll eat the pita chips and hummus. The rest he will point at and say, 'no like this!'. 'sigh' - one day perhaps.
This Greek themed dinner included hummus, tzatziki, Greek Salad (all of which I've posted before), BBQ chicken skewers and pita chips.

BBQ Greek Chicken Skewers

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup Greek Seasoning

Chop the chicken into 1 inch cubes. Toss everything into a bowl, coating all your chicken pieces well with the seasoning. Thread the chicken cubes onto the skewers. BBQ until the meat is cooked through.



Seasoned Pita Chips

This recipe comes from Eat, Shrink and Be Merry by Janet and Greta Podleski. (Titled Bewedged)

1 1/2 tbsp dried rosemary
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I used the shaker, not grated, it was fine)
3 6 inch pita rounds (with pockets)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter, melted
1/4 tsp each garlic powder and onion powder

Preheat oven to 350*. Crush the dried rosemary with your fingers and combine it with the Parmesan cheese in a small bowl. Set aside. Using a sharp knife or kithen scissors (I used a pizza cutter), cut each pita into 6 equal wedges (I thought these were too big so I cut them into 12). Peel back the layers so you end up with double the wedges. Place the wedges, rough side up, on a large baking sheet. Do not overlap (I ended up using 2 sheets). In another small bowl combine the melted butter and olive oil. Brush the olive oil mixture over all the wedges. Sprinkle wit the cheese/rosemary mixture. Bake on a middle oven rack for about 10 minutes. Watch that they don't burn! Excellent dipped in hummus!

6 comments:

Heather S-G said...

Delicious! I love Greek food and this whole spread has me wishing I had some right now! :)

Creative Classroom Core said...

Looks like a fantastic feast to me!

Your little guy sounds a lot like mine! Instead of saying he doesnt like it though, he just screams and thows it off his high chair... I cannot wait until he starts talking!

Unknown said...

What a feast! :) It all looks delicious!

Lara said...

Greek food is one of those things that I've enjoyed, but never cooked myself. What a fun idea to do a whole Greek feast.

Coleens Recipes said...

What an excellent dinner table! Don't waste your time fretting about your little one...when he's a teenager, he will INHALE this food...trust me.

Katy ~ said...

Sorry to be so late in commenting ~ I am working crazy overtime and when the day is over, all I want to do is go to bed.

Oh, this ALL looks so good! I would love the crunch and seasoning on your pita chips. YUM