Monday, June 8, 2009

Oven French Toast


I haven't made French Toast in a long time. And I've never made it baked in the oven before. I'd always pan fried it. I really didn't want the hassle of making pancakes this week and we hadn't been eating up the bread like we usually do, so I thought French Toast. My husband says he didn't notice a difference between this and the pan fried, but I think that's because he got the first batch which I didn't bake as long. Mine came out of the second batch, which baked a little longer and I found crunchier and better than pan frying.

8 slices bread (I know some people who wouldn't use whole wheat for this, but I love whole wheat, so that's what I did)
3 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla (I actually messed this up and put in a tbsp and it was so yummy vanilla-y that I may just always put that much in in the future)
1 tbsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter or margarine

Pre-heat oven to 500*. Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar and salt together, set aside. Using a 9x 12 or 13 baking dish (like a cake or lasagna pan) add half of the butter (just the butter) and put in oven to heat and melt. Take pan out of the oven and give the melted butter a good swoosh around. Dip each piece of bread completely in the egg mixture (allow excess to go back into the bowl) and place on baking pan (I was able to do 4 pieces of bread at a time). Bake for 3-4 minutes, flip over and bake for another 3-4 minutes. Melt remaining butter in pan in between re-loading up the pan. Serve with butter and syrup. It tastes good and your house will smell great with that vanilla - yummy!

15 comments:

Chef E said...

I have not had french toast, since I used the pound cake, and this sounds good. I hope when I visit Texas, someone makes me breakfast for once! :)

Selba said...

I love French Toast!!! You can make French Toast in the oven? Whoaaa... that's healthy but isn't it going to be dry?

Lara said...

A whole tablespoon of vanilla? Wow--my kids would love that! I've never tried baking french toast either, but it sounds really good! Great ideas!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

French toast is my all time favorite breakfast. Don't you think it should be everyone's favorite? Especially after seeing your post. I'm almost ready to go to sleep and dream of this for breakfast tomorrow morning! YUM@

Creative Classroom Core said...

Ive never heard of baking french toast in the oven before - I will have to try it! French toast is my husband's all-time favourite!

Thanks for the cool idea :)

Melody said...

That sounds so good. I am really bad at making breakfast for the kids. It's usually cereal for them. This looks quick and tasty. I'll have to try it out. Thanks.

Lissaloo said...

yum, french toast is my favorite breakfast :)

Donna-FFW said...

I so have to try this, it sounds wonderful and couldnt be easier. Thanks for sharing this!

Heather S-G said...

We love french toast around here...have it often! Yours sounds delicious!

Coleens Recipes said...

What a great idea to cook it in the oven! I have an extra loaf of bread I made this week, so I think I'll cut double thick slices and try that! Thanks.

Katy ~ said...

Kristen, I LOVE this idea. We eat French toast maybe once a month or so, so I am definitely going to do this!!

Talita said...

Oven french toast sounds great! Specially for me. I hate to fry!!

teresa said...

This makes me so hungry for french toast! It looks so good!

NKP said...

I love the idea of doing it in the oven, whenever someone serves me french toast it never seems cooked all the way through - baking it would help a lot.

Monica H said...

I tend to not like baked french toast because it gets soggy, but this looks great!