Sunday, June 21, 2009

Pasta with Shrimp


Life has a way with catching up with you. This past week has just been so busy and slightly chaotic around here. I'm gearing down for the end of my work year. The last day with students was Friday and this week will be filled with classroom clean up and year end paperwork. I'm very much looking forward to the break. My mom arrives for a visit tomorrow and we are all very excited about that (especially my 4 year old who has many plans for him and his Gramma!)
I fully intend to go back and peruse all of your lovely blogs at my leisure over the next week or so. I'm sure I've missed some great dishes!
This pasta was one of those complete accidents that turned into such a delicious dish. I made it on a night where I was just busy. I think I fed the kids chicken strips and fries and forgot to feed myself. When my husband came home from work after the kids were in bed I decided to thaw some shrimp and see what I could make with it. This is what I came up with. It was very tasty, so much so that I've planned to try it again with scallops in my next menu rotation. The measurements here are approximate as I was just throwing stuff in.

1 cup pre-cooked shrimp - thawed in cold water, drained and pressed with paper towel to remove excess water
1-2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1-2 cloves pressed garlic
1 tbsp mixed Italian seasoning herbs
1-2 tbsp dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 tbsp parmasan cheese

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Once vegetables soften, add shrimp, herbs, mustard, cheese and salt and pepper. Mix all together and heat thoughroughly. Add pasta of your choice and mix everything together well. We used whole wheat spagettini.

12 comments:

Katy ~ said...

This sounds like a wonderful, delicious "accident." YUM. Love all the ingredients! I'm one of those who are stuck without a recipe, so I'm in awe of your ability to throw ingredients together and create something delicious. Well done!

Heather S-G said...

yum, simple pasta for a simple Sunday...love it :)

Trish said...

Some of the best dishes I created were those 'spur of the moment' inspirations too! And simple is best...using the ingredients we already have. I think we instinctively know what to put together...wait....sigh...there is always an anomaly...my hubby for instance. Grin. Anyway..this DOES look good. Glad you will get a break soon. I don't know you but reading your post I am gathering you teach obviously...so does my hubby...but he teaches all year ...these few 'break' times between sessions are sure something you have to take a hold of and REST! Enjoy your mom's visit.

Lissaloo said...

Ooooooo I have a some shrimp thawing in my fridge that i have been trying to decide what to do. This looks like a great dinner!

Carrie said...

I love shrimp, I think I could eat them every day and never grow tried! Your shrimp pasta looks scrumptious!

Creative Classroom Core said...

This is a really delicious sounding dish - love the shrimp addition :)

Lara said...

My kids love anything with noodles in it and this looks so good. You are so creative to come up with these great ideas. I like my recipes spelled out for me.

Coleens Recipes said...

My hubby would LOVE this dish...and I love that it is quick and easy!! Thanks for posting.

teresa said...

I love those kinds of dishes that just come together and end up being delicious. This looks wonderful!

Chef E said...

I have been craving this for the past week!

Monica H said...

I love accidental dishes- sometimes they're the best. Have a good time with your mom!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Some of the best dishes are the ones that were impromptu! This looks really good! Thanks for sharing!
~ingrid