Saturday, June 13, 2009

Cherry Chocolate Muffins and a Bananaberry Smoothie


Well, my oldest son asked me to buy some cherries not too long ago. Sure. Unfortunately, he decided that the best way to enjoy cherries was to make cherry juice and squish them. After cleaning up a good sized mess (note to self, never leave 4 year old with cherries unattended), I hid the rest of the bag in the back of a fridge drawer.

Coincidentally, I started noticing cherry based posts on some of my favorite foodie sites. One for chocolate cherry muffins caught my eye. This morning I decided to bake those muffins. But do you think I could find the original post? Why, oh why didn't I bookmark it? I should know better, I'm not going to remember who posted it...there are too many lovely recipe sites out there. So I started to search. Yes, I went through each blog site and typed in the word cherry to search. After about 10 blogs I found it. It was at Joy in My Kitchen. The recipe can be found here.
The muffins turned out quite nicely. I did omit the chocolate chips as I had used up what I had earlier this week making chocolate chip cookies. My son really liked them too.
I thought smoothies would make this into a more complete breakfast. They are so great and so easy. This version had:

1/2 container of vanilla yogurt (650 g size, PC provantage brand)
1/4 cup skim milk
2 generous cups of frozen mixed berries
2 ripe bananas, cut into chunks

Everything goes into the blender and blend until smooth. I did have to stop a couple of times to push the fruit down, but it all worked and tasted so delicious.
The funny thing was my youngest who watched me make the smoothies. He saw me put the banana in and said, 'no like banana Mama', but he was the first one to ask for seconds of the drink :o)


16 comments:

chow and chatter said...

adorable i made a smoothie like that yesterday for my lil one, and split it !!, love this post

Selba said...

Wow.. bananaberry smoothie! I bet it's wonderful!

I usually make strawberry banana smoothie :)

I wish that I can find cherry easily here and the price is not so crazy expensive.

Katy ~ said...

Kristen, if that sweet little face isn't an endorsement of your smoothie deliciousness than nothing is!

Heather S-G said...

Too cute!! Cherries are my favorite fruit...during cherry season, it's a bit of a madhouse around here...pitting, freezing, canning, baking, spitting...love 'em!!

NKP said...

What a cutie! The only way I can get a banana into my son is in a smoothie or shake... and he is 18..

Creative Classroom Core said...

I adore cherry and chocolate together! Yum!

teresa said...

Oh, what a cutie! This looks just wonderful, and very healthy!

Trish said...

Oh that is hilarious! Hmmm...a chocolate cherry muffin. I tell you...I have noticed this 'thing' about cherries appearing in every recipe these days too! HA....and with chcolate...well...one cannot lose! Nice of your to link us up and I'm sold on a smoothy by that advertising face!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

That's an awesom post of your little guy!

Isn't that always the way? I was like that didn't like it when I saw it but loved it as soon as I tasted it.
~ingrid

Delectable Dining said...

These sound wonderful! I love the picture! :) Too cute!

Monica H said...

What a cutie!

I have a tip for you. I make smoothies all the time and I learned that if you put all the wet and soft ingredients in first and the frozen stuff on top, it blends better.

So add the milk and yogurt, then the bananas, then the strawberries. The liquid blends up and sucks the other stuff down and you don't usually have to push any fruit down.

Donna-FFW said...

Muffins sound yummy, your son is adorable with that grin, and the smoothies sound terrific!

♥peachkins♥ said...

Oh your son loved it! What a cutie...

Rachel said...

Awwww...you're so sweet...thanks for stopping by and taking the time to look around my blog :)

My husband would go absolutely crazy over your most recent post--he loves taking muffins to work for breakfast and he also really enjoys smoothies! I'm going to call him in here when he's done studying, to take a look!!!

Anonymous said...

hahaha! I love this post! your son is SO sweet...even sweeter than the delicious smoother and muffins!

Netts Nook said...

Any smoothie works for me he looks like a happy camper. Good job.