Sunday, June 7, 2009

Pierogy Lasagna with fried peperoni


This was something I had once at a potluck and always wondered about. I love pierogies. For those of you who don't know what they are, (and there are those of you out there, I know), they are a kind of dough filled dumpling, usually filled with a potato mixture. They can be boiled, and fried, sometimes baked too. You can find pierogies pretty easily in the potato section of your freezer section at your grocery store.
A pierogy lasagna has a similar idea, getting the flavour of the potato filling, but using lasagna noodles for the dumpling dough part. I didn't have a recipe to do this, so I made one up.

12 lasagna noodles, boiled as per box directions(this was the first time in a long time that I'd bought regular lasagna noodles instead of whole wheat - I didn't think whole wheat would give it that pierogy taste I was going for)
8-10 potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks and boiled until soft
1 tbsp margarine
1 onion, diced
1 cup cheese (I used swiss in the filling, but any hard cheese would work)
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup cheese (I used cheddar for the topping) - grated

Pre-heat oven to 350*. Drain the boiled potatoes. Add margarine and mash thoughroughly. Add onion and grate the 1st cheese into the mixture. Mix well, so cheese melts in. Add salt and pepper and mix again.
Grease a lasagna pan with oil or margarine. Layer 1st layer with 4 noodles. Spread half the potato mixture over top. Layer next 4 noodles. Spread rest of potato mixture on. Layer last 4 noodles, grate cheese on top. Bake for about half an hour. Serve with sour cream.

Fried Peperoni

Cut a peperoni stick into medallions. Add a little bit of cooking oil to a frying pan (just a tsp really). Swish oil around to grease pan. Cook peperoni over low-medium heat, browning both sides.

10 comments:

Lissaloo said...

I love pierogies! I bet this tastes delicious! :)

Donna-FFW said...

I LOVE LOVE this, I make something similar that my mom made, when she didnt feel like making homemade. Sounds very similar but hers has a layer of buttery cooked cabbage. Looks delicious, I am craving this now!

Pam said...

What a tasty recipe - my husband would love fried pepperoni.

Katy ~ said...

Aren't you clever! I've never had a pierogy! This sounds fun!

Coleens Recipes said...

I confess, I know what a pierogy is but have never tasted one. Thanks for the recipe!! Great photograph.

Creative Classroom Core said...

Could there be a more tasty meal?!?! YUM!!!!

Heather S-G said...

mmmmm, pierogies!! Great idea...this sounds super tasty :D

Lara said...

My sister made me pierogies one time and I loved them. I imagine that this is yummy!

Monica H said...

Very clever of you! This looks good--very comforting meal!

teresa said...

Oh my gosh, great idea! I can't wait to try it! Bookmarked!