Sunday, November 14, 2010

Apple Banana Bread


Wow, I am really behind on my posting.  It's a funny cycle food blogging isn't it?  I get inspired by all the wonderful recipes you all post and start experimenting in the kitchen.  And then I get busy with the kids and everything else going on in my life and suddenly I realize I have a stack of photos waiting to be posted on.  Oh well, after a couple of years of food blogging I have come to the conclusion that I don't enjoy it if I pressure myself to be posting all the time.  The recipes will still be there for when I get a good chunk of time on the computer.

Here's a lovely recipe I found last month on Lauren's Kitchen (original post here).  My son loved it so much that I made it twice within a week.  He wanted it for breakfast and in his lunchbox for school.  It's really easy and a great way to use up those bananas you've got frozen in your freezer.

  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 stick butter - I had to look this up, 1 stick = 1/2 cup butter, the 2nd time I made it I substituted applesauce for the butter and it worked great.
  • 3 ripe bananas (mashed)
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 c. flour
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 or 3 peeled, chopped apples
Beat sugar, eggs and butter. Add bananas and mix together.   Add baking soda, vanilla, cinnamon, and flour. Mix.  Fold in chopped apples. Fill greased and floured bread pans 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour - I have a slow oven so I baked this for a little bit longer, just keep checking for when the top is nice and golden and a toothpick comes out clean when you insert it in the middle of the bread.

2 comments:

Monica H said...

You're absolutely right. If you feel pressured to blog, then it's no longer fun. Just post when you can and you want to.

I bet this would make excellent french toast. I might have to experiment!

teresa said...

mmm, i love the combo of apples and bananas, ths looks great!