Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Sour Cream Zucchini Bread


'Tis the season for zucchini! I had some fun poking around Recipezaar.com and found this lovely recipe for zucchini bread. I did some adapting of my own and would have done more if I hadn't discovered that my applesauce was growing mold in the back of the fridge. I would have substitued applesauce for the oil (there's a lot of oil in this recipe!) The bread was really nice and moist. Delicious with butter, even better with cream cheese :o)

Ingredients
2 cups white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups zucchini, shredded
1/2 cup light sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease 2 bread loaf pans. In a mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl combine the eggs, brown sugar, white sugar, and oil. Add the dry ingredients slowly to the egg mixture. When thoroughly mixed, add the sour cream and vanilla. Finally, mix in the shredded zucchini. Pour the mixture into the two loaf pans. Bake for 1 hour and 10 to 1 hour and 20 minutes (use a toothpick to see if the bread is done, it should come out clean, or with just a few crumbs on it. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Chef E said...

I am not sure why I have never made this, because I love it when I have a piece at my in-laws...this recipe might be the start of my baking it!

Katy ~ said...

LOL about the applesauce. You are too funny for admitting what has happened to all of us at one time or another!

Yumm, zucchini bread. I like the addition of the whole wheat flour and the sour cream. Will have to keep this one.

teresa said...

i love this bread. i would never think to use sour cream. it looks delicious!

NKP said...

Such a great way to eat zucchini!

Bunny said...

Why do we do that to our poor applesauce!! LOL!! I've done it more times than I like to remember! This bread sounds wonderful, love the addition of sour cream!

Monica H said...

OMG, how good would this be slathered with cream cheese?!

Yummy!