Friday, March 11, 2011

Going Vegetarian for Lent

This past Wednesday marked the beginning of the season of Lent.  Lent is the time observed in the Christian calendar as the 40 days before Easter (relating to the 40 days Jesus spent in the wilderness after His baptism).  It has been traditionally observed as a time of prayer and fasting.  I've chosen to observe Lent in various ways in the past.  This year I felt called to give up meat.  I had considered a full Daniel fast of no meat, no dairy and no sweets, but as I'm still nursing my daughter I didn't want to affect my milk supply.  I'm not new to a vegetarian diet.  I was a vegetarian from the time I was 15 to 24.  I've learned a lot about food and cooking since then.  I've also developed a love of meat so this should be a good practice of self-denial for me.

I've planned out my first 2 weeks of meal ideas, but I'd love to have suggestions for other dishes to try over the next month and a half. If you have a great idea for a vegetarian dish, please share in the Linky below. I love trying new dishes and can't wait to see all of your fabulous recipes!




Current Vegetarian Meal Ideas

Veg. Chili
Spaghetti
Spanikopita with Greek Salad
Red Lentil Soup
Chinese Mushroom Stir Fry
Sweet Potato Curry
Vegetable Jalfreezi
Aloo Ghobi
Veg Baked Bean and Rice
Greek Pizza

6 comments:

AngelaMae said...

hey... I think that is a great idea for Lent and one I might copy. Although it's easy for me since I rarely buy meat or cook it anymore. The hard part is at school because they typically serve us a meat for a main dish.
Check out my blog... go WAY back into my archives, there is a good eggplant stack one... also kale chips!
Also, I have a request... do you remember that lentil loaf you used to make when we were roomies and you were vegetarian? Can you post the recipe for that... I love it and want to make it!

Pam said...

Looking forward to seeing your vegetarian meals.

Jennifer said...

Wow wish I could help there, I am a hard core Carnivore and cannot go one meal without meat of some sort. Good luck to you! p.s. that cake one post down, WOW

Anonymous said...

Hi Kris...Mom here....do you remember the WW recipe of Mexican casserole...its delicious! If you don't have it I could send it to you...love M

chow and chatter said...

good for you ;-) and I am sure it will be a healthy way to eat and wow love the mickey cake

Heather S-G said...

Good luck! Check out all of the Meatless Monday link-ups and post...so many fabulous ideas!